Friday 9 March 2012

Trip to Owenga

After work this afternoon, the Dr, one of the nurses and I went to Owenga. The weather was quite overcast and looked likely to rain, but I thought I'd go anyway as I haven't been out all week. The rain held off until we got back home, luckily for us!

Owenga is at the South East of the island and is one of the other big settlements, other than Waitangi. There is little there, in terms of shops etc, as all of these are in Waitangi. Owenga does have it's own fish factory and wharf, as it is a major fishing area on the island. Owenga is generally the place where you can get a fishing boat to Pitt Island, depending on the weather and if someone is going in that general direction! As I said, I took a few pictures at the wharf but I took more pictures up by the statue of Tommy Solomon a bit further along the coast.

Me and the statue of Tommy!

Close up of Tommy Solomon

Me and my mate Tommy

This is just the sign of Owenga Wharf.

This is the view of the coast, just across the grass from the statue of Tommy Solomon.

This is the sign below Tommy Solomon's feet.

This is just a picture of Owenga Wharf.

This is the view of the coast, standing on Owenga Wharf.
So, who is this Tommy Solomon you might ask? Well you can look him up on google for a better explanation, but the jist of it is, that Tommy Solomon was apparently the last full blooded Moriori on the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment