Sunday 18 March 2012

Chathams by Car - Part Two

It was a bit more of a lazy start on Sunday morning, leaving the house about 11:00. We decided to go to Cape Young for some fishing, right on the North Coast. Once we finally got there, we weren’t sure where the fishing spot was, as it was steep cliffs all around. We had a wonder to the edge of the cliffs and it was a lovely view. We were quite high and had a good view, of a fair amount of the North side of the Island.

We then decided to head up to Owenga, down at the South East coast to see Tommy. Erin hadn’t been up there and we wanted to do some more fishing off the rocks. There were two seals playing about in the sea, just off the rocks, but I couldn't get any decent pictures due to the sunlight. It was too rough and windy to fish there, so we headed back to Waitangi.

When driving back in to Waitangi to drop Erin off home, we saw loads of cars looking at something in the Sea. We stopped to have a closer look and it was a Sperm Whale that appeared to be stuck, flapping its tail about. As much as it tried, it looked pretty stranded.

We dropped Erin home, and then Christine and I thought we would try some more fishing down at Waitangi Wharf. After a short while I caught a blue cod, which felt awesome! Christine cut its head off there as it had swallowed the whole hook and she took its guts out. I then caught another fish about 5 minutes after, although I'm sure I had two fish on the line before I brought it up. We were unsure of what it was and if it was a legal size, so we threw it back.

When we got home Christine pulled its skin off and filleted it for me, which gave 4 decent sized fillets. I pan fried two of the fillets, added a bit of lemon juice and some rice – it was amazing! I put two in the fridge, ready for the next evenings tea!


Up at Cape Young on the North Coast, looking West. The blowhole is just out of the middle of the picture.

The second fish I caught, but threw back as we were unsure of legal size and name. I still don't know what this fish is called, if anyone has any ideas?

This is a weird sort of starfish that Christine caught with the fishing rod.

More of Cape Young on the North Coast.

At Cape Young, looking Eastwards.

This is at Owenga, on the South East coast of the Island. This is where the two seals were and you can also see two windturbines in the distance. These are responsible for the Islands power supply, alongside using diesel.

Probably my favourite picture for a while, catching my first ever fish, on my second ever day fishing! It was a blue cod and tasted amazing!


This is a selection of my pictures from the second day, cruising around the Island with the hire car.

No comments:

Post a Comment